We all have a share in keeping ransomware like WannaCry at bay. Please exercise caution and be skeptical of any unexpected email or action.
YOU ARE PROTECTED IF:
- You are subscribed to The SynchroNet Way and have a Blue Ball icon in your task tray by your PC clock
- You have an on-premises or cloud-based server from SynchroNet and are subscribed to The SynchroNet Way because SynchroNet has deployed the necessary patches
What You Need to Know about WannaCry
- 74 countries are reporting infections
- After infection, the ransomware propagates over the network via “external blue”, a tool built by the NSA (but leaked and now misused by criminals)
- Unpatched Microsoft systems are vulnerable to this ransomware
- It’s unclear how initial infection occurs (likely drive-by or email)
- The number of affected systems will continue to increase significantly, so your risk of infection will continue to rise
What You Can Do
- DO NOT open any suspicious emails or attachments
- Make sure your personal computers are updated and have the latest Microsoft patches
- Ensure that your critical information is safely backed up off network. If you do not have a on-premises or cloud-based server, you may be at risk because SynchroNet has not deployed a BackupMyNet back-up appliance. We should talk!
IF YOU FEEL YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN COMPROMISED BY WANNACRY, UNPLUG THE ETHERNET CABLE, AND TURN IT OFF IMMEDIATELY. OPEN A SUPPORT TICKET FROM AN UNAFFECTED COMPUTER.
Have questions? Please call us at 716-677-2677 or email us at [email protected]. We’d be happy to help you.