IT is a difficult thing to understand for those of us who are not computer wizards. It can be difficult to know exactly what you’re paying for and what is actually necessary. Listening to an IT guy talk can be like listening to a used car salesman trying to make you buy all the upgrades. It could be true that some of it is necessary, but you could be the victim of an upsell. So what is really worth the money when it comes to IT support?
What are the Basics?
There should be some baseline when it comes to IT support. There are some certain things that you should require no matter how you handle your IT solutions.
- Cyber Security –They should be able to provide a safe work environment that fights off malware and potentially dangerous programs from entering your system
- Data Backup and Management – managing data and keeping it safe should be top priority. Without proper data management it is likely that you could lose the information that you rely on the most.
- Disaster Recovery – There needs to be a plan if things go wrong. Even the best cyber security is not guaranteed to protect you from every attack. Creating and updating a disaster recovery plan should be a top priority for small business IT.
- Protection from Outside Threats – This could be threats in your home office, or people trying to access you through remote means. This is another part of cyber security, but keeping every part of your business safe is essential!
- Optimizing your Network – Your business and the tools within it should work smoothly between each other. This is everything from creating fast communication networks, updating and providing the best software, and making sure tools and programs work well together. This is something that should be reevaluate as new solutions reach the market and flow changes in your business. Optimization leads to a more productive work environment.
These are just some examples of what your IT team should be able to provide you. These are just some of the most basic things that everyone needs. Your business will not succeed without security and data management.
Deciding Your IT Business Needs
For example, we all need cyber security. But maybe your business does millions of dollars of transactions and sales overseas. It might be much more important to create secure links for people to connect remotely, or take extra steps to secure banking details.
On the flip side, maybe your business is just getting started. You might not need all the bells and whistles to keep you running. Instead, just the basics could keep you afloat as your move forward. But does your IT provider understand your goals and where your business is headed? Are they prepared to adjust to your needs as you move forward and your goals change?
It’s a smart idea to sit down and access what you actually need now, and what you might need in the future. Consider if your provider is offering all of those things and if they will keep you happy into the future.
Consider Managed Services
One of the best ways to know you are paying the right amount of IT support is to work with a managed service provider.
MSPs are like offsite IT providers that offer a team of people to help you solve your problems. It’s like having an entire IT team at your disposal, ready to take on any challenge that you might present to them.
Instead of hiring an employee to be your “IT guy,” MSPs work under contract. So you are actually the client. This means that they are fighting to keep you happy, or risk losing your business.
This helps keep managed service providers honest, as they are operating as customer service first, and IT specialists second.
Additionally, MSPs usually work on a service level agreement. This means that you can figure out together what services you actually need. This helps ensure that you are not overpaying for a bunch of extra stuff that you will never use.
Most also offer 24/7/365 support. That means that you are prepared to face a cyber threat at ay time! Can your IT person offer that now?
Please reach out to us for a FREE network assessment with our great Synchronet team. We can offer you the best IT solutions, without overcharging. Don’t wait until your system is compromised!